Sunday, July 3, 2011

Playing catch up

Hello all. 
 Have you missed us? 
Sorry to "disappear" again. 
Who knew raising two kids would be so time consuming :-)

We've been busy....
Duh!  
That's why this space has sat vacant for a week or two now. 
Thank God the rent is cheap.

Let's see.
Where should I start.

How 'bout here:

Look at this photo.  Notice anything missing?
Need help?  Look again.
Do you see it now? 

Yup, that was the former local of our ginormous tele. 

No, we were not robbed.
No, the T.V. is not broke and in the repair shop (do those exist anymore?).
No, we did not sell it because we are upgrading.

Yup, you guessed it. 
We've become those weird people and ditched the ol' boob tube.
We did so in favor of doing more of this....
Before we had children the ol' Hubsters and I decided we didn't want television for our children.  Yes, we were raised with it (and depending on what day you ask who) we turned out just fine.  However, the television has become a whole lot worse these days.  Plus, it's easy to make the transition from the tube to the computer, to PlayStation's and then to Wii's or whatever other gadget that disconnects you from your family.

Well, folks I fell victim to the powers of the babysitting T.V.  I don't recall when it started but I suspect it occurred sometime during the middle of my pregnancy.  It was just all to easy to turn it on for one 30 minute episode of Special Agent Oso and then BAM the whole morning was gone and that ONE episode lasted a few hours. 

So, one day the Hubsters and I planned and schemed while Bug was out doing....
Well, actually the planning and scheming was all my idea.  Hubby was the non-stop talker  muscle behind the plan. 
I wanted to see how Bug would react if we took the T.V. out of his sight. 
Did he ask for Oso and Mickey because the T.V. was always in his line of sight acting as a constant reminder of shows he could be watching? 

Well, folks the experiment went just as I thought.  Bug asked for Oso/Mickey a total of six times that day and only a few times the following day and by the third day....not a peep.

Bug could care less that the T.V. was gone. 

Our motivation for doing this was not only driven by the fact that there is junk on T.V. and that doesn't even include the horrible news that flows out any of the news channels but what I had really noticed was that Bug was forgetting how to play and more importantly we had forgotten how to play with him. 

I'll admit....as long as I could keep him entertained in front of the T.V.  I would keep busy with this or that but the things I was choosing to do really weren't as important as spending that time with my son.

Don't fret as my mother did because the T.V. is not gone, gone. 
Daddy is still bracing and preparing himself for that day to come. 
After a few days Daddy moved the T.V. into our bedroom where we enjoy family movie night on Sundays. 

Sunday evenings are our special time as a family.  Bug and I make popcorn, then we let him pick out the movie and then we all curl up in bed and watch it. 

Truthfully, it goes something like this....Bug and I make the popcorn, Bug gets the movie which will be Toy Story 3 (for the third time), Mr. C will fall asleep in bed while Bug and I are chowing down on the popcorn and filling our bed with the droppings that I'll be kicking out all night.  Shortly thereafter I'll fall asleep followed by Daddy in another hour.  Bug, well he's the hold out.  That child refuses to miss one minute of "Woody and By-by"

Mr. C or Squishy as he is better known around here could really care less about all of this.  His days are filled up with this...
 I am a proud baby wearing mama who LOVES her Ergo baby sling.  With having a second child this has by far been the best investment.  As you can see Squishy is a huge fan as well.  As I am typing this out he is passed out in the Ergo. 

I know you all may think we are a bit more nuts now but my dad told me this back on Mother's Day..
"If I could do it all over again I would have raised you girls at the property."

My dad can't take us to the property now and raise us there.  Somehow I don't think he would win against four women all in their 30's but Daddy and I can make this change now and when Bug and Squishy become adults they can make the decision to watch the boob tube.

As Daddy said:
"No one is going to go to their grave wishing they'd watched more T.V."

I am off for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

aqua poppy