Sunday, September 26, 2010

made

now that the news is out that i am not having a girl but instead another awesome little boy i am kind of sad that i won't be able to make that tutu that i've been dreaming about.  so what do i do with these built up thoughts and dreams on my little girl running around in an adorable tutu......you make one instead for your front door :-)  no joke.  i really made one last night and i am in love with it.  it turned out 100% better then what i ever imagined.  

i came across this idea for this wreath here.  as i was putting my wreath together i was a little disappointed that my tulle wasn't coming out as straight as hers but I kept plugging away and the end result was fantastic!  unfortunately, the one i made last night is a gift for someone else however i already have the supplies ready to make my own.

here are the supplies needed and a small  lesson i learned along the way...

1. a $1.00 christmas wreath from the dollar tree store.
  (on a side note...if you are a crafter and you haven't ventured in there yet then go now!  don't walk-run!  they have so many great cheap items to craft with.  i feel like this store is a gift to all crafters.  especially ones like me who don't have a lot of extra money for hobbies like this)

2. tulle--any color or colors you want.  and here is the lesson i learned.  i picked up my tulle at walmart because their fabric is considerable less than JoAnn's or Hancocks.  i also thought i would be smart and buy the tulle by the yard off of a bolt because i figured it would cheaper then buying the rolls of tulle--WRONG!  at walmart i paid a $1.27 per yard and I purchased four yards and went through all four yards.  at JoAnn's today i purchased the tulle on a roll for 25 yards at $2.99

3.  back at the dollar tree pick up two spools of ribbon.  i picked up halloween themed spools because this season is upon us.

4.  also at the dollar tree i picked up a random themed halloween decoration to glue in the middle of my completed wreath as added decoration.

AND here is how I put my wreath together....

1.  I took my christmas wreath and with wire cutters cut off all the garland so that i was left with a metal ring.
2.   I then took my tulle on a roll that  is 6" wide and cut the 6" wide roll into three equal sections so you are left with 3-2" wide strips and then I cut those strips into 13" length sections.
4.  i then started tying the ribbon on using the cow hitch style knot.  now i am numbers person so after i tied on 20 sections of tulle i then tied on a 13" (in length) ribbon.
5.  i continued with this same pattern until i reached the top of the wreath and then i cut a longer section of my halloween ribbon to hang the wreath on the door. 

my end product was this....

you see...i literally made a tutu for my front door!  isn't it adorable?! 
all total this little project cost:
$1-one wreath
$2-two spools of ribbon
$5-four yards of tulle
$1-one halloween decoration
TOTAL:  9 bucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

aqua poppy