Tuesday, May 6, 2014

week :: twenty-eight

This has been a week of a few firsts. 
 
-First, Bug broke his elbow.
-Then Squish broke out in hives.
-And then not to be out done by her brothers, Annie sat-up unassisted.
 
Mama's kinda pooped from all this new activity.
 
Seriously though, I knew sooner or later I would become familiar with broken bones.  First off, my kids have half of their Daddy-O in them so the ol' two left feet applies to them; and second....I won't force my kids to live in bubble.  Sometimes I wish they did but I know giving them the chance to live and explore life is more important. 
 
 
Bug broke his arm on Thursday night playing with his see-saw.   Honestly,  how I always envisioned a broken bone happening was nothing compared to how it happened. 

Nobody saw exactly what happened but here is what we do know....he was on his see-saw going in circles and then he wasn't.  Ta-Da! 
 
I was inside cleaning up dinner and my folks were outside with the boys.  I heard his cry as he came through the door and I heard him asking for me.  I knew right away that something big was wrong.  His tone and pitch at the moment were new.  When I turned around I saw him making a beeline for me and his right arm was bent into an L shape but limp at the same time.  I said it right then--his arm was broken.  I think I had a few naysayers but my Mama instinct wasn't going to budge from my diagnosis. 
 
-His tears only lasted a few minutes at best.
 
-Daddy-O and I arguing over how each other handled the situation....an hour or more.
 (According to him:  I was being illogical and irrational and blah, blah, blah.  I zoned out 5 minutes into the "conversation."
According to me: he was being all--let's hug it out and smoke a peace pipe.  When the buzz wears off we'll talk about a game plan. (this might be a little exaggerated-- but only a teensy weensy) )
 
To my defense--it was seven o'clock at night.  My folks were there to lend a hand with kid 2 & 3.  Let's get to urgent care now because who knows how long this will take.  I don't really care right now what exactly happened because the damage is already done. 
 
Let me ask you this:  Would you dare mess with a sow?  I think not.  I was in a full-blown sow mode and nobody was going to get in my path (and survive).
 
Poor kid.  I feel horrible that we handled our mess in front of him.
 
We took him to urgent care but before we could ever get the proper paperwork to fill out, we left.  He had gained almost full use of his arm and wasn't complaining about any discomfort.  I sucked up my "his arm is broken pride" and we went home.
 
The next morning though when he couldn't straighten his arm I suspected my original diagnosis's might still be valid so off again to urgent care.  By 5pm that night we had the confirmation that he indeed broke his elbow. 
 
(Buggy with his sling before the splint.)
 

(Buggy doing his infamous silly poses with his new arm bling)
 
I've got to hand it to this kid....not since the initial break has he cried or complained. 
Not even yesterday when the doctor was squeezing, bending and rotating his arm.  He said he wasn't in any pain but yet he would pull back or even flinch a bit when he did feel it.  Truthfully, it kind of breaks my heart watching him be so tough.
 
 
Onto Squishy now:
 
Sunday morning he woke up fine but about 20 minutes after a shower he had broken out in a rash.
 

 
It looks really bad in these photos.  My mama instinct told me it was just an allergic reaction to something but because I couldn't figure out what had caused it I started to doubt my feeling.  I decided to call his doctor's office yesterday to go for a look-and-see just to verify that all is okay. 
 
All is okay.  It's just a case of the hives.  She suspects that his body in fighting some type of virus and in return it has become sensitive to something.  He should be cleared up in a week.
 
week :: twenty-eight
 
And not to be left out from the first broken bone and the first case of the hives....Annie decided yesterday was also good time to sit up all by herself for the....first time.
 


 
 
Here's a rewind to week one: 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

aqua poppy